Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bad Weather, Good Fishing

I have been fishing small rivers, streams and creeks lately, and have been loving it. The place I caught the fish below at is on a very famous river, the Provo river in Utah. This river sees hundreds of fishers a week if not in a day. It has easy access and is close to many major cities. The stretch I fish though is often overlooked and in the last 20 times I have fished this stretch I have only seen one other person fishing it.  

The Provo is known for nymphing, but it can have great dry fly action as well. In the past month I have caught well over 30 fish from this stretch of the Provo and all on drys.I know this stretch of the river very well and  can generally catch 4 to 5 fish and hour. though they may not be very large I have caught a few in the 16-18 inch range. In the picture just below, the larger one is just over 13 inches. If it is a German brown you really should keep anything larger than that, because they start to get mushy and don't taste good, not to mention it is good to thin out the small ones so that latter on there will be so giant ones in the river to catch. 



The weather today was pretty lousy it was overcast with patches of rain but it pays not to be a fair weather fisherman. Fish seem to like this type of weather and are more aggressive. Poor weather means great fishing. next time give it a try. I remember one last year I went fishing in early spring. the weather was going from snow to rain, to hail, to sleet and blowing like crazy. My wife thought I was crazy for fishing in that kind of weather. That was the fast action I have ever seen. The fish were going nuts over anything that hit the water. every cast I was pulling in a trout and it went like that non stop until the weather cleared up. Today was no different the overcast gloomy weather made for not only cooler and more comfortable fishing but faster pace as I fished for and hour and a half today and caught 10 fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment