Tuesday, June 26, 2012

In Search of Fishing Spots

I consider myself fairly normal, those who know me my beg to differ, for the most part everyone wishes that they could have a little time to themselves and do something they enjoy. I bet most people wish they had a little more time to commit to their hobbies and I am the same.

In order to maximize my time on the water I am always looking for places to fish. It's not that I don't like the typical places go, in fact people go to those places because it is generally easy access and good fishing. The problem I have with those areas is the waves of people that flock to them. My idea of a good fishing day does not include fishing in one spot and not being able to move because it is shoulder to shoulder fisherman. I want a place that is secluded, quiet and has plenty of fish. So I am always in search of water.

It takes a great deal of leg work to find places that are close, provide good fishing, and offer seclusion, but if you are willing to take the time most likely you will be able to find your secret spot. I have been lucky to find a couple of places within ten minutes of my house.  Here is a Picture of one spot I like to fish, it is small and quiet,  and I regularly catch 16-18 inch rainbows, and a few  native Utah species. If you look close in the middle there is a young buck drinking from the creek.


One thing you'll notice is the very thick foliage, these are the types of places I tend to look for, They may be harder to fish but they offer the fish shade, protection, and plenty of food.  If you can find places like that and learn to fish them you will be rewarded with great fishing. 

If you want to be a good fisherman you need to learn what water there is around you, and then take the time to learn how to fish it. I think half the fun of fishing is trekking through the country looking for great places to fish. So get out there and learn your local waters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment